Firearm charge dropped after Toronto officer says he meant to fire gun

A Toronto police officer accused of careless use of a firearm had his charge withdrawn after testifying he in fact intentionally shot a man in the arm at a midtown hotel last year following an unsuccessful undercover operation.

Three months after Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) announced it charged Const. John De Sousa in connection with a February 2016 shooting, Crown prosecutor Peter Scrutton told court Tuesday that charge was “premised on the accidental discharge of the officer’s service weapon” during an arrest.